If you're not a fan of pumpkin, you're welcome to go ahead and take a hike in the crunchy leaves in the cool + crisp hair.
This recipe is a family favorite, seasonally festive, and oh - so delicious.
The sweetened cream cheese filling elevates this moist spiced pumpkin bread. The recipe makes two loaves, one for now and one to freeze for later. This is sure to become a family favorite you'll make every season.
Slice the second loaf and freeze it in portions. Take it out when you need a snack for holiday guests, or take it along to a family Thanksgiving dinner.Ingredients
Cream Cheese Filling:
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 large egg
1 tablespoon orange zest (finely grated)
- Preheat oven to 325 F
- Lightly grease and flour two 8-by-4-by-3-inch loaf pans. In a medium mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, 1 egg, and the orange peel; beat until well blended and creamy. Set aside.
- Into another bowl, sift the 1 2/3 cups of flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg; set aside.
- Put the pumpkin puree, vegetable oil, 2 eggs, and 1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar in a large mixing bowl; beat well. Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Fold in the pecans or walnuts, if using.
- Spread half of the pumpkin bread batter evenly into the two prepared loaf pans. Spoon cream cheese mixture on top of pumpkin batter layer and then spoon the remaining pumpkin batter evenly over the cream cheese layer in each pan. Gently spread the batter over the cream cheese layer.
- Bake the loaves for 60 to 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a loaf comes out clean.
- Cool bread in pans for 10 minutes; remove to a rack to cool completely.