Are you thinking about investing in a luxurious bamboo comforter, but aren’t sure you’re ready to jump into that pile of plush bedding quite yet? How do you wash bamboo bedding anyway?
Don’t worry – if you’re asking these questions, you’re not alone. Bamboo has just barely broken into the bedding world and most people don’t know how to care for it. So, how do you take care of your premium bamboo comforter? Well, here are some quick and practical tips on how to care for and clean bamboo.
First, you should always use a bamboo duvet cover. If you use a duvet cover, you will almost never need to need to wash your beautiful comforter. The most you probably need to do is air it out every 3-5 months.
To air out your comforter, hang it in mild to moderate sunlight for 1-3 hours. The sun will dry out any body oils and moisture your bedding may have soaked up. By drying out these oils, the sun naturally refreshes your comforter without damaging it, reviving its soft, plush texture and making it feel brand-new.
While only airing out your comforter every few months is the ideal situation, we all know life happens. For instance, imagine your gorgeous comforter has just arrived in the mail. You planned on buying that duvet cover, but just haven’t gotten around to it yet. Are you really going to wait for a duvet cover when your soft, luxurious new comforter is just begging for you to curl up in it?
Of course not! So you grab a book and just a little cup of your favorite drink. Then, even though you’re trying to be careful, you spill something on your fluffy white bedding. Oh no! Have you just ruined your brand-new bedspread? No – in most cases you can spot clean it.
To spot clean your comforter:
- Soak a cloth in warm, soapy water
- Wring the cloth out to remove almost all of the water
- Gently blot the stain
- Lay out to air dry
- Repeat as necessary
If you need to wash your entire bedspread, then put your comforter in the washing machine while the stain is still damp and follow the instructions below.
Let’s move onto machine washing your comforter. Whether it’s silk, down, or cotton, almost all comforters are extremely difficult to deep clean. Usually, you can only spot clean or dry clean them and who really wants to drag their poofy comforter to the dry cleaners?
Well, one of the biggest perks of bamboo is that you can wash it at home! To clean your cozy comforter in your washing machine and dryer:
- Spot clean any obvious stains
- Wash in cold water (it’s better for the environment)
- Only use the rinse cycle (no spin cycle)
- Dry on delicate or hang dry
See it’s that easy! If you want to discover more about the benefits of bamboo bedding, read Why Bamboo Comforters Are the Best.
While no one wants to take their comforter to the dry cleaners, dry cleaning will always be the best way to protect and extend the life of your bedding. After all, the purpose of dry cleaning is to protect fabrics from the viscous spin cycles of washing machines and dryers. So, how do you find a high-quality, professional dry cleaner that will care for your bedding like it is their own?
- First, look for reviews online. Previous customers are your best source of information because they’ve already gone to the trouble of trying the dry cleaner for you.
- Once you’ve narrowed down your options, call or visit the business in person. How do they treat their customers on a day-to-day basis? Do they take the time to ask you questions so they know how best to clean your items?
- Finally, ask the dry cleaner a few important questions. What kind of cleaning solvent do they use? For example, is their cleaning solvent eco-friendly? What is their policy on lost on damaged items? How much experience do they have cleaning bedding? A good dryer cleaner should be able to confidently answer these questions and any other ones you might have.
Now you know how to naturally freshen, spot clean, machine wash, and find a good dryer cleaner for your bamboo bedding. The only step left is to find the comforter of your dreams! To find your perfectly plush comforter, check out Cozy Earth’s bamboo comforter or dual bamboo comforter today!