With the stress of the holidays already here for some, it’s important to take time for yourself to de-stress and practice self-care. What better way to do that than by planning the perfect staycation? Below, we’ll explain what a staycation is and how to set yourself up for success when planning one.
What Is A Staycation?
A staycation, or holistay, is a vacation from work and the stressors of everyday life, all from the comfort of your home or city.
What to Do on A Staycation?
During a staycation, think of yourself on vacation, but you just haven’t left your home or town. Before you start your staycation, set an out-of-office message at work, close your laptop, and put your phone on silent. Some staycationers don’t leave their homes, while others choose to adventure outside and explore their city. Either option can be fun and exciting, so do what works for you!
How to Plan a Relaxing Staycation at Home
If your staycation involves staying home, here are some tips to make it extra relaxing:
- Finish the laundry ahead of time – make sure your bed is ready to lounge in with freshly washed sheets and the most comfortable comforter. Once the kids are off to school and the house is yours, it’s perfectly acceptable to crawl back into bed and lounge around for an hour or two (or more!). This is your staycation; take the time you need!
- Draw a bath - Whether you prefer bubbles, bath bombs, or clear hot water, a bath is a great way to decompress and relax during your staycation.
- Order takeout - Unless cooking brings you joy, plan to order takeout during your staycation. Who wants to wash all those dishes when they’re trying to relax?
- Find a service that comes to you - If you want a relaxing massage, need your nails touched up, or are looking for a private yoga session to help you relax and you don’t want to leave your house, find a service that comes to you. A quick Google search can lead you in the right direction but be sure to check the reviews before booking anything.
How to Plan a Staycation Outside Your Home
Here are a few tips to plan a fun staycation in your city when you want or need to get out of the house:
- Go shopping - If shopping is your jam but it’s mostly of the grocery or school supplies variety these days, plan your staycation to include some retail therapy time. Whether you prefer high-end fashion, window shopping, or browsing the racks at local thrift stores, there’s something waiting for you – you just have to find it!
- Take a walk outdoors - From national parks to greenway trails, getting some exercise and fresh air may be just what you need to de-stress and relax. Break out the mountain bike or lace up your sneakers and get to it!
- Try a new restaurant - When you’re on vacation in another city, it’s expected that you’ll try a new, often local restaurant you’ve never been to. You can do the same in your home city! Check Trip Advisor, Yelp, or Google for some of the top-rated eateries near you.
- Be a tourist for the day - You’ve lived here for years, but have you ever explored the city as a tourist? It can be a lot of fun! Visit museums, hop on the ferry, hail a taxi, go to the touristy district, purchase an “I heart” shirt, catch a local band playing live music, dip your toes in a lake, search for shells along the beach, check out a traveling art exhibit, hop on an amusement ride, eat lunch at a local hotel, sign up for a ghost tour downtown, shop local at the farmer’s market, check out your neighborhood taco truck, or enjoy a bubble tea from that little shop down the street.
Whether you plan to spend your staycation watching rom-coms in bed or out and about exploring your town, make sure you have comfy and stylish loungewear to do it in for the ultimate relaxation.